Thursday, July 7, 2011

184/365 - My EPIC Birthday!!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

I remember telling my family that I wanted to go to the beach for my birthday and boy, did they make THAT happen.

Cue the song that is now my default ring tone on my phone because it is stuck in my head, permanently;

"I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar..." R. Kelly

When I look at this photo and when I think about that door to the plane opening, dangling my feet off the edge and pushing out of the plane, my stomach gets that jolt, that excited feeling that I also get when I'm on a roller coaster but SO MUCH BIGGER AND BETTER. Just writing this post has got my heart rate up AND I want to go again!

I wasn't even nervous until I heard the words "thirty seconds." THIRTY SECONDS before we jumped from 10,000 feet in the sky, over the ocean, OH MY GOODNESS! "Now I'm free, free fallin'. Yeah, I'm free, free fallin..." Can't. Even. Describe. The. RUSH. The sound of the wind, me screaming out of pure excitement and then when the parachute opens...quiet. We are floating above the ocean, floating above the EARTH and "I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles..." Then we are to the part I was most afraid of: landing on the ground and breaking an ankle or hip. But no, it was smooth, on my butt and on the beach! . And there I was, being unhooked from a harness to a parachute (and my instructor Eric - who was AWESOME by the way). Yes it was over that fast, darn it. Let’s go again and again.

Words people used when commenting on my Facebook status that "I. JUST. JUMPED. OUT. OF AN. AIRPLANE!" - Metal, Rockstar, Brave, awesomesauce, OMG... but the funniest came from a phone call from our favorite Uncle in Texas "Y'all don't have a lick a sense."

Yes, I do feel stronger. Like I can do anything I set my mind to. I mean really, I FLEW!

THANK YOU!!! I want to thank my family and my sister's family and anyone else who knew this was what I was getting for my birthday and kept it a surprise. Not that I would have chickened out had I known ahead of time. Oh HELL no! I just probably wouldn't have been able to sleep the night before and would have worked myself up into a frenzy. THANK YOU all for making this happen! This really was the best birthday EVER. Thank you to my oldest child for the idea and getting this event rolling. Thank you to my husband, my middle child and my sister for jumping too! Thank you to EVERYONE for getting up early on a Sunday, driving (Hubs, Son & BIL) two hours, waiting for us to get up in the sky and LAND on the ground and schlepping all the stuff down to (and up from) the beach where we spent the rest of the afternoon munching, lounging, watching the dolphins swim by and getting sun burned. Thank you for the wonderful dinner too. So glad you could spend the day with me. I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

1 comment:

KVAN said...

WOULDN'T HAVE MISSED IT FOR THE WORLD!!!! LOVE TOM.